Wednesday, February 17, 2010

February 17

The Season of Lent begins today. This is the 40 day period before Easter Sunday. Traditionally, it is celebrated by fasting. A few years ago, the fast I did what is known as the Daniel Fast. Basically I fasted meat and all processed foods and sweets and wine. What a powerful and life changing experience I had! Fasting is more about spending time with God than it is about what you are giving up. Fasting is taking away everyday normal pleasures so that we can focus more on prayer and reading the Bible. This year, I am fasting the following: TV (I will not watch TV) and sweets/goodies. I am also committing to limit time on the computer and praying three times a day. I will focus on deepening my prayer life and expressing my purpose that God has placed in my heart. My hope is that over the next few weeks I can communicate how I came to understand and follow my purpose in life.
Caution: If you are interested in fasting and would like to know more about it, please let me know. I will give you more information.

On the way to the couch where I read and pray, my eye caught one of my favorite devotionals, “My Utmost For His Highest” by Oswald Chambers. Today being the 17th of February, I turn to that page. Realizing that the subject, ‘taking initiative’ really started yesterday, I began with that instead. And once again, I am amazed at how relevant this subject is for the focus of this fasting period. I am sharing an excerpt from the devotional with you because it is just so eye-opening. Really, it is about FAITH and taking the initiative when God places a dream in your heart.
“Not all initiative, the willingness to take the first step, is inspired by God. Someone may say to you, “Get up and get going! Take your reluctance by the throat and throw it overboard – just do what needs to be done!” That is what we mean by ordinary human initiative. But when the Spirit of God comes to us and says, in effect, “Get up and get going,” suddenly we find that the initiative is inspired. God does not give us overcoming life – He gives us life as we overcome”.

Day One of the fast started off a little bumpy. I eventually got myself together and spent time in prayer. Really, I should have been prepared last night to begin my fast first thing this morning by going to bed a lot earlier last night. I am looking forward to spending more quality time in prayer as the days continue.
“Show me your ways, O Lord. Teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior and my hope is in you all day long.”

My hope rests in God alone – not in my ability to do anything, and not in anyone else’s ability to help me or show me or teach me. You can never fail with that perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment